- the twenty-fourth letter of the alphabet.；denoting the next after W in a set of items, categories, etc.
noun: X, plural noun: X's
- 1. the twenty-fourth letter of the alphabet.
- ▪ denoting the next after W in a set of items, categories, etc.
- ▪ denoting an unknown or unspecified person or thing there is nothing in the data to tell us whether X causes Y or Y causes X
- ▪ (in describing play in bridge) denoting an unspecified card other than an honour East knows that declarer cannot hold a doubleton Qx
- ▪ the first unknown quantity in an algebraic expression, usually the independent variable.
- ▪ denoting the principal or horizontal axis in a system of coordinates the
- 2. a shape like that of a letter X two wires in the form of an X an X-shaped cross
- 3. a cross-shaped written symbol.
- ▪ used to indicate a position on a map or diagram put an X on the spot where you think its eye should be
- ▪ used to indicate a mistake or incorrect answer.
- ▪ used in a letter or message to symbolize a kiss.
- ▪ used to indicate one's vote on a ballot paper with trembling hand you inscribe your X on the slip of paper
- ▪ used in place of the signature of a person who cannot write nearly all those engaged in the fur trade signed with an X
- 4. the Roman numeral for ten.