- a very large quantity of something；the state or condition of having a copious quantity of something; plentifulness
noun: abundance, plural noun: abundances
- 1. a very large quantity of something the tropical island boasts an abundance of wildlife
- ▪ the state or condition of having a copious quantity of something; plentifulness vines and figs grew in abundance she was blessed with talent and charm in abundance
- ▪ plentifulness of the good things of life; prosperity the growth of industry promised wealth and abundance
- ▪ the quantity or amount of something present in a particular area, volume, or sample estimates of the abundance of harp seals
- 2. (in solo whist) a bid by which a player undertakes to make nine or more tricks.