- a spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God, conventionally represented in human form with wings and a long robe；an attendant spirit, especially a benevolent one
noun: angel, plural noun: angels
- 1. a spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God, conventionally represented in human form with wings and a long robe God sent an angel to talk to Gideon the Angel of Death
- ▪ an attendant spirit, especially a benevolent one there was an angel watching over me 同義詞 messenger of God, divine/heavenly messenger, divine being, spirit反義詞 devil
- ▪ in traditional Christian angelology, a being of the lowest order of the celestial hierarchy.
- 2. a person of exemplary conduct or virtue I know I'm no angel their parents think they are angels 同義詞 paragon of virtue, saint, gem, treasure, nonpareil, ... 更多
- ▪ used in similes or comparisons to refer to a person's outstanding beauty, qualities, or abilities you sang like an angel
- ▪ used in approval when a person has been or is expected to be kind or willing to oblige be an angel and let us come in
- ▪ used as a term of endearment I miss you too, angel
- 3. a person who supports a business financially, typically one who invests private capital in a small or newly established enterprise the longer it takes you to get your product into the marketplace, the longer it will be until the angels get their money back 同義詞 backer, sponsor, supporter, benefactor, subsidizer, ... 更多
- ▪ a financial backer of a theatrical production every year we raise the money for the next season and we are always looking for an angel
- 4. an English coin minted between 1470 and 1634 and bearing the figure of the archangel Michael killing a dragon.
- 5. informal an aircraft's altitude (often used with a numeral indicating thousands of feet) we rendezvous at angels nine
- 6. informal an unexplained radar echo.