- a protective garment worn over the front of one's clothes and tied at the back；a garment similar to an apron that is worn as part of official dress, as by a bishop or Freemason.
noun: apron, plural noun: aprons
- 1. a protective garment worn over the front of one's clothes and tied at the back a striped butcher's apron I reached into my apron pocket
- ▪ a garment similar to an apron that is worn as part of official dress, as by a bishop or Freemason.
- ▪ a sheet of lead worn to shield the body during an X-ray examination.
- 2. a small area adjacent to another larger area or structure a tiny apron of garden
- ▪ a hard-surfaced area on an airfield used for manoeuvring or parking aircraft the pilot was instructed to park on the main apron
- ▪ a projecting strip of stage for playing scenes in front of the curtain.
- ▪ US an area of asphalt where the drive of a house meets the road.
- ▪ the narrow strip of a boxing ring lying outside the ropes.
- ▪ an extensive outspread deposit of sediment, typically at the foot of a glacier or mountain.
- 3. an endless conveyor made of overlapping plates apron feeders bring coarse ore to a grinding mill