- reparation for a wrong or injury；(in religious contexts) reparation or expiation for sin
noun: atonement, plural noun: atonements
- 1. reparation for a wrong or injury she wanted to make atonement for her husband's behavior
- ▪ (in religious contexts) reparation or expiation for sin an annual ceremony of confession and atonement for sin
- ▪ the reconciliation of God and humankind through Jesus Christ.
- the action of making amends for a wrong or injury: he submitted his resignation as an act of atonement