- the series of vertebrae extending from the skull to the pelvis; the spine；the spine of a book.
noun: backbone, plural noun: backbones
- 1. the series of vertebrae extending from the skull to the pelvis; the spine prickles of sweat broke out along her backbone the great Pennine range is the backbone of England 同義詞 spine, spinal column, vertebral column, vertebrae, back, ... 更多
- ▪ US the spine of a book.
- ▪ the main chain of a polymeric molecule.
- 2. the chief support of a system or organization; the mainstay these firms are the backbone of our industrial sector 同義詞 mainstay, cornerstone, foundation, chief support, buttress, ... 更多
- ▪ strength of character; firmness he has the backbone to see us through this difficulty 同義詞 strength of character, strength of will, firmness of purpose, firmness, resolution, ... 更多反義詞 weakness
- 3. a high-speed, high-capacity digital connection which forms the axis of a local or wide area network.