- the area or scenery behind the main object of contemplation, especially when perceived as a framework for it；the part of a picture or design that serves as a setting to the main figures or objects, or that appears furthest from the viewer
noun: background, plural noun: backgrounds
- 1. the area or scenery behind the main object of contemplation, especially when perceived as a framework for it the house stands against a background of sheltering trees 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the part of a picture or design that serves as a setting to the main figures or objects, or that appears furthest from the viewer the background shows a landscape of domes and minarets the word is written in white on a red background
- ▪ a position or function that is not prominent or conspicuous after that evening, Athens remained in the background 同義詞
- ▪ used to describe tasks or processes running on a computer that do not need input from the user programs can be left running in the background
- ▪ low-intensity radiation from radioisotopes present in the natural environment.
- ▪ unwanted signals, such as noise in the reception or recording of sound.
- 2. the circumstances or situation prevailing at a particular time or underlying a particular event the political and economic background background information 同義詞
- ▪ a person's education, experience, and social circumstances she has a background in nursing a mix of students from many different backgrounds 同義詞