- a small disc or knob sewn on to a garment, either to fasten it by being pushed through a slit made for the purpose or for decoration.；a small round object resembling a button
- fasten (clothing) with buttons；fasten the buttons of a garment being worn by someone
verb: button, 3rd person present: buttons, gerund or present participle: buttoning, past tense: buttoned, past participle: buttoned
noun: button, plural noun: buttons
- 1. a small disc or knob sewn on to a garment, either to fasten it by being pushed through a slit made for the purpose or for decoration. 同義詞
- ▪ a small round object resembling a button chocolate buttons
- ▪ a knob fitted to the point of a foil to make it harmless.
- ▪ used in reference to things of little worth he will never give away anything that is worth a button
- 2. a small device on a piece of electrical or electronic equipment which is pressed to operate it. 同義詞
- ▪ an element of a graphical user interface which a user can select to perform a particular action just search for the app you want and click the 'buy' or 'install' button
- 3. North American a badge bearing a design or slogan and pinned to clothing.
- 1. fasten (clothing) with buttons I buttoned my shirt and knotted my tie he buttoned up his jacket
- ▪ fasten the buttons of a garment being worn by someone he buttoned himself into the raincoat
- ▪ (of a garment) be fastened with buttons a dress that buttoned down the front
- 2. informal stop talking.