- a modulation or inflection of the voice；a rhythmical effect in written text
noun: cadence, plural noun: cadences
- 1. a modulation or inflection of the voice his measured cadences never convey the character's underlying passion
- ▪ a rhythmical effect in written text the dry cadences of the essay
- ▪ a fall in pitch of the voice at the end of a phrase or sentence.
- ▪ rhythm the thumping cadence of the engines
- 2. a sequence of notes or chords comprising the close of a musical phrase the final cadences of the Prelude