- be able to；be able to through acquired knowledge or skill
- 1. be able to they can run fast I could hear footsteps
- ▪ be able to through acquired knowledge or skill I can speak Italian
- ▪ have the opportunity or possibility to there are many ways vacationers can take money abroad
- ▪ used to express doubt or surprise about the possibility of something's being the case he can't have finished where can she have gone?
- ▪ used to indicate that something is typically the case antique clocks can seem out of place in modern homes he could be very moody
- 2. be permitted to you can use the phone if you want to nobody could legally drink on the premises
- 3. used to ask someone to do something can you open the window? can't you leave me alone?
- ▪ used to make a suggestion or offer we can have another drink if you like