- a kind of soft, flat hat, typically with a visor；a kind of soft, close-fitting head covering worn for a particular purpose or as a mark of a particular profession or status
- put a lid or cover on；form a covering layer or top part of
verb: cap, 3rd person present: caps, gerund or present participle: capping, past tense: capped, past participle: capped
noun: cap, plural noun: caps
- 1. a kind of soft, flat hat, typically with a visor a man wearing a raincoat and a flat cap her cap of dark hair
- ▪ a kind of soft, close-fitting head covering worn for a particular purpose or as a mark of a particular profession or status a nurse's cap a bathing cap
- ▪ an academic mortarboard graduates in cap and gown 同義詞 mortar board, academic cap, datedtrencher, trencher cap, square
- ▪ the top of a bird's head when distinctively colored.
- 2. a protective lid or cover for an object such as a bottle, the point of a pen, or a camera lens a glass bottle with a screw cap a lens cap from a camera 同義詞 lid, top, stopper, cork, bung, ... 更多
- ▪ an artificial protective covering for a tooth.
- 3. an upper limit imposed on spending or other activities the law would not put a cap on retail prices 同義詞 limit, upper limit, ceiling, curb, check
- 4. the broad upper part of the fruiting body of most mushrooms and toadstools, at the top of a stem and bearing gills or pores.
- 5. short for percussion cap
- 1. put a lid or cover on he capped his pen
- ▪ form a covering layer or top part of snow-capped mountains several towers were capped by domes 同義詞 top, crown, cover, coat, blanket, ... 更多
- ▪ put an artificial protective covering on (a tooth) his smile revealed perfectly capped teeth
- 2. provide a fitting climax or conclusion to he capped a memorable season by becoming champion 同義詞 round off, crown, be a fitting climax to, put the finishing touch/touches to, perfect, ... 更多
- ▪ follow or reply to (a story, remark, or joke) by producing a better or more apposite one they capped each other's stories 同義詞 beat, better, surpass, outdo, outshine, ... 更多
- 3. place a limit or restriction on (prices, expenditure, or other activity) council budgets will be capped 同義詞 set a limit on, put a ceiling on, limit, restrict, keep within bounds, ... 更多