- involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering；extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful
- 1. involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering a catastrophic earthquake
- ▪ extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful catastrophic mismanagement of the economy
- ▪ involving a sudden and large-scale alteration in state the body undergoes catastrophic collapse towards the state of a black hole
- ▪ relating to geological catastrophism.
- involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering: a catastrophic earthquake