- a person chosen to preside over a meeting；the permanent or long-term president of a committee, company, or other organization
noun: chairman, plural noun: chairmen
- 1. a person chosen to preside over a meeting the chairman of the conference
- ▪ the permanent or long-term president of a committee, company, or other organization he was chairman of the finance committee he received an offer to become the company's chairman and chief executive
- ▪ (since 1949) the leading figure in the Chinese Communist Party.
- 2. historical one of the two people carrying a sedan chair.