- examine (something) in order to determine its accuracy, quality, or condition, or to detect the presence of something；verify or establish to one's satisfaction
- an examination to test or ascertain accuracy, quality, or satisfactory condition；a stopping or slowing of progress
- expressing assent or agreement.；used by a chess player to announce that the opponent's king has been placed in check.
verb: check, 3rd person present: checks, gerund or present participle: checking, past tense: checked, past participle: checked
noun: check, plural noun: checks
- 1. examine (something) in order to determine its accuracy, quality, or condition, or to detect the presence of something customs officers have the right to check all luggage a simple blood test to check for anemia 同義詞
- ▪ verify or establish to one's satisfaction she glanced over her shoulder to check that the door was shut check the expiration date on your passport 同義詞
- ▪ verify the accuracy of something by comparing it with (something else) keep your receipt to check against your statement
- ▪ inspect or examine thoroughly I checked through my notes
- ▪ agree or correspond when compared.
- ▪ informal look at; take notice of check the remix
- 2. stop or slow down the progress of (something undesirable) efforts were made to check the disease 同義詞
- ▪ curb or restrain (a feeling or emotion) he learned to check his excitement 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ hamper or neutralize (an opponent) with one's body or stick.
- ▪ provide a means of preventing processes to check against deterioration in the quality of the data held
- 3. North American (of a passenger) consign (baggage) to the care of the transport provider with whom they are traveling I checked my bag and got my boarding pass
- ▪ deposit (a coat, bag, or other item) for temporary safekeeping in the cloakroom of a restaurant, theater, etc. the drinks weren't expensive and there's no cover charge but you do have to check your coat for $3.00
- 4. mark or click on (a box) in order to select a particular option on a form, questionnaire, etc. users who want privacy should check the box that prevents your files from being shared
- 5. move a piece or pawn so that (the opposing king) is under attack he moves his knight to check my king again
- 6. (in poker) choose not to make a bet when called upon, allowing the action to move to another player.
- 7. (of a hound) pause to make sure of or regain a scent.
- ▪ (of a trained hawk) abandon the intended quarry and fly after other prey.
- 1. an examination to test or ascertain accuracy, quality, or satisfactory condition a campaign calling for regular checks on gas appliances a health check 同義詞
- 2. a stopping or slowing of progress there was no check to the expansion of the market
- ▪ a means of control or restraint a permanent check upon the growth or abuse of central authority 同義詞
- ▪ an act of hampering or neutralizing an opponent with one's body or stick.
- ▪ a temporary loss of the scent in hunting.
- ▪ a false stoop when a hawk abandons its intended quarry and pursues other prey.
- 3. a move by which a piece or pawn directly attacks the opponent's king. If the defending player cannot counter the attack, the king is checkmated.
- 4. a written order to a bank to pay a stated sum from the drawer's account he was awarded a check for $1,000
- ▪ North American the bill in a restaurant let's get the check 同義詞
- 5. a token of identification for left luggage.
- 6. a counter used as a stake in a gambling game.
- 7. North American short for check mark
- 8. a part of a piano that catches the hammer and prevents it from retouching the strings.
- 9. a crack or flaw in timber.
- 1. North American informal expressing assent or agreement.
- 2. used by a chess player to announce that the opponent's king has been placed in check.