- short for House of Commons；the common people regarded as a part of a political system, especially in Britain
noun: commons, plural noun: the Commons
- 1. short for House of Commons
- ▪ historical the common people regarded as a part of a political system, especially in Britain the state was divided into clergy, nobility, and commons both lords and commons won some important concessions
- 2. land or resources belonging to or affecting the whole of a community the mismanagement of a commons the global commons of Antarctica
- ▪ US a dining hall in a school or college.
- 3. archaic provisions shared in common; rations.