- a peace officer with limited policing authority, typically in a small town.；a police officer.
noun: constable, plural noun: constables
- 1. a peace officer with limited policing authority, typically in a small town.
- ▪ British a police officer.
- 2. the governor of a royal castle.
- ▪ historical the highest-ranking official in a royal household.
- a convict appointed as an officer of the peace in an Australian colony: a convict constable entered the house with a warrant of execution
- (1776–1837), English painter. Among his best-known works are early paintings such as Flatford ...
- (1776–1837), English painter. His early paintings were inspired by the landscape of his native ...
Oxford American Dictionary
- the head of the police force of a county or other region.
- (in the UK) a person who is trained to act as a police officer on particular occasions, ... he had served as a special constable Special Constable Casey
- a police officer.