- speak or act in opposition to；respond to hostile speech or action
- in the opposite direction to or in conflict with
- responding to something of the same kind, especially in opposition
- a thing which opposes or prevents something else；an answer to an argument or criticism
noun: counter, plural noun: counters
- 1. speak or act in opposition to the second argument is more difficult to counter
- ▪ respond to hostile speech or action “What would you like me to do about it?” she countered
- ▪ give a return blow while parrying he countered with a left hook
- 1. in the opposite direction to or in conflict with some actions by the authorities ran counter to the call for leniency
- 1. responding to something of the same kind, especially in opposition after years of argument and counter argument there is no conclusive answer
- 1. a thing which opposes or prevents something else the stimulus to employers' organization was partly a counter to growing union power
- ▪ an answer to an argument or criticism he anticipates an objection and plans his counter
- ▪ a blow given while parrying; a counterpunch.
- 2. the curved part of the stern of a ship projecting aft above the waterline.
- 3. the white space enclosed by a letter such as O or c.