- a sudden, violent, and unlawful seizure of power from a government；an instance of successfully achieving something difficult
noun: coup, plural noun: coups
- 1. a sudden, violent, and unlawful seizure of power from a government he was overthrown in an army coup 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. an instance of successfully achieving something difficult it was a major coup to get such a prestigious contract 同義詞
- ▪ an unusual or unexpected but successful tactic in card play.
- 3. a direct pocketing of the cue ball, which is a foul stroke.
- 4. historical (among some North American Indian peoples) an act of touching an armed enemy in battle as a deed of bravery, or an act of first touching an item of the enemy's in order to claim it.