- the weight of an inert person or thing；a heavy or oppressive burden
noun: deadweight, plural noun: deadweights
- 1. the weight of an inert person or thing he had to struggle while carrying forty-five pounds of deadweight on his back
- ▪ a heavy or oppressive burden she'd drag my father's dead weight from wherever he'd fallen
- ▪ the total weight of cargo, stores, etc. which a ship carries or can carry this will produce a maximum dead weight of 72,350 tons
- ▪ another term for dead load
- ▪ animals sold by the estimated weight of saleable meat that they will yield.
- ▪ losses incurred because of the inefficient allocation of resources, especially through taxation or restriction a dead-weight burden
- ▪ a debt not covered by assets.