- the action of causing a bomb or explosive device to explode；a loud explosion
noun: detonation, plural noun: detonations
- 1. the action of causing a bomb or explosive device to explode she was in a control building at the time of detonation atom bomb detonations at Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- ▪ a loud explosion a series of deafening detonations was heard
- ▪ combustion of a substance which is initiated suddenly and propagates extremely rapidly, giving rise to a shock wave natural gas's high resistance to detonation
- ▪ the premature combustion of fuel in an internal combustion engine, causing knocking.