- the front part of a person's head from the forehead to the chin, or the corresponding part in an animal.；the face as expressing emotion; an expression shown on the face
- be positioned with the face or front toward (someone or something)；have the face or front pointing in a specified direction
verb: face, 3rd person present: faces, gerund or present participle: facing, past tense: faced, past participle: faced
noun: face, plural noun: faces
- 1. the front part of a person's head from the forehead to the chin, or the corresponding part in an animal.
- ▪ the face as expressing emotion; an expression shown on the face the happy faces of these children
- ▪ a manifestation or outward aspect of something the unacceptable face of social drinking
- ▪ a person of a particular type this season's squad has a lot of old faces in it
- 2. the surface of a thing, especially one that is presented to the view or has a particular function.
- ▪ each of the surfaces of a solid the faces of a cube
- ▪ a vertical or sloping side of a mountain or cliff the south face of Broad Peak
- ▪ the side of a planet or moon facing the observer.
- ▪ the front of a building.
- ▪ the plate of a clock or watch bearing the digits or hands.
- ▪ the distinctive side of a playing card.
- ▪ short for typeface
- ▪ the side of a coin showing the head or principal design.
- 1. be positioned with the face or front toward (someone or something) he turned to face her 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ have the face or front pointing in a specified direction the house faces due east
- ▪ (of a soldier) turn in a particular direction they immediately faced about
- 2. confront and deal with or accept a difficult or unpleasant task, fact, or situation honesty forced her to face facts sooner or later you must face the truth 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ have (a difficult situation) in prospect each defendant faced a maximum sentence of 10 years 同義詞
- ▪ (of a problem or difficult situation) present itself to and require action from (someone or something) if you were suddenly faced with an emergency, would you know how to cope? 同義詞
- 3. cover the surface of (something) with a layer of a different material the external basement walls were faced with granite slabs 同義詞
- face down
- face the music
- the face of the earth
- face up
- get out of someone's face
- have the face to do something
- in one's face
- in the face of
- lose face
- loss of face
- make a face
- on the face of it
- put a brave face on something
- put one's face on
- save face
- save someone's face
- set one's face against
- throw something back in someone's face
- to one's face
- face down
- face off
- face up to