- give food to；(especially of an animal or baby) take food; eat something
- an act of giving food, especially to animals or a baby, or of having food given to one；a meal
verb: feed, 3rd person present: feeds, gerund or present participle: feeding, past tense: fed, past participle: fed
noun: feed, plural noun: feeds
- 1. give food to did you remember to feed the cat? she fed him bits of biscuit 同義詞
- ▪ (especially of an animal or baby) take food; eat something the baby will feed according to her needs 同義詞
- ▪ provide an adequate supply of food for the island's simple agriculture could hardly feed its inhabitants
- ▪ give fertilizer to (a plant) feed the lawn in spring and autumn
- ▪ put fuel on (a fire).
- ▪ encourage the growth of I could feed my melancholy by reading Romantic poetry 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ informal satisfy (a drug habit) users who commit crime to feed their habit
- 2. supply with material or power a radial circuit fed by a 20 amp fuse the pond is fed by a small stream
- ▪ put into a machine the programs are fed into the computer Kevin fed coins into the jukebox
- ▪ insert further coins into (a meter) to extend the time for which it operates.
- ▪ supply (someone) with (information, ideas, etc.) I think he is feeding his old employer commercial secrets 同義詞
- ▪ prompt (an actor) with (a line) you were still in the wings feeding Micky his lines
- ▪ (in ball games) pass (the ball) to a player.
- 3. cause to pass gradually and steadily, typically through a confined space make holes through which to feed the cables
- ▪ influence or contribute to has your art history background fed into the artwork you produce?
- ▪ (of a new factor or development) begin to be effective or influential; have an impact on someone or something it could take time for higher earnings and dividends to feed through to investors
- 1. an act of giving food, especially to animals or a baby, or of having food given to one the baby's morning feed
- ▪ informal a meal I gave him a big feed of rashers and eggs and mashed potatoes 同義詞
- ▪ food for domestic animals the crops are grown for animal feed cow feed 同義詞
- 2. a device or pipe for supplying material to a machine a paper feed
- ▪ the supply of raw material to a machine or device a feed pipe
- ▪ a broadcast distributed by a satellite or network from a central source to a large number of radio or television stations a satellite feed from Washington
- ▪ a facility for notifying the user of a blog or other frequently updated website that new content has been added most blogs and news sites offer RSS feeds of their latest content
- 3. a line or prompt given to an actor on stage.
- ▪ an actor who gives a feed to a fellow performer.