- a line of people or things one behind another；a small detachment of troops
- (of a group of people) walk one behind the other, typically in an orderly and solemn manner
verb: file, 3rd person present: files, gerund or present participle: filing, past tense: filed, past participle: filed
noun: file, plural noun: files
- 1. a line of people or things one behind another files of tourists stream up the narrow lanes of Mont St Michel
- ▪ a small detachment of troops a file of English soldiers had ridden out from Perth
- ▪ each of the eight rows of eight squares on a chessboard running away from the player towards the opponent.
- 1. (of a group of people) walk one behind the other, typically in an orderly and solemn manner the mourners filed into the church