- the cracking or breaking of a hard object or material；a crack or break in a hard object or material, typically a bone or a rock stratum
- break or cause to break；sustain a fracture of (a bone)
noun: fracture, plural noun: fractures
- 1. the cracking or breaking of a hard object or material ground movements could cause fracture of the pipe 同義詞
- ▪ a crack or break in a hard object or material, typically a bone or a rock stratum a fracture of the left leg 同義詞
- ▪ the physical appearance of a freshly broken rock or mineral, especially as regards the shape of the surface formed obsidian shows a conchoidal fracture
- 2. the replacement of a simple vowel by a diphthong owing to the influence of a following sound, typically a consonant.
- ▪ a diphthong substituted by fracture.
- 1. break or cause to break the stone has fractured ancient magmas fractured by the forces of wind and ice
- ▪ sustain a fracture of (a bone) he fractured his skull when he was a kid
- ▪ (with reference to a group or organization) split or fragment and become unable to function or exist the movement had fractured without his leadership