- not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes；able or permitted to take a specified action
- without cost or payment；with the sheets eased
- release from captivity, confinement, or slavery；release from physical obstruction, restraint, or entanglement
- 1. not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes I have no ambitions other than to have a happy life and be free a free choice
- ▪ able or permitted to take a specified action you are free to leave 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a state or its citizens or institutions) subject neither to foreign domination nor to despotic government a free press 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ historical not a slave the poor among the free men joined the slaves against the rich
- ▪ denoting an ethnic or political group actively opposing an occupying or invading force, in particular the groups that continued resisting the Germans in World War II after the fall of their countries the Free Dutch, Free Polish, and Free Norwegian fleets
- 2. not or no longer confined or imprisoned the researchers set the birds free police were forced to let him walk free 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ not physically restrained, obstructed, or fixed; unimpeded she smiled, leaned back, and waved a free arm in the air she lifted the cat free 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of power or energy) disengaged or available.
- ▪ not bound in an atom, a molecule, or a compound the atmosphere of that time contained virtually no free oxygen
- ▪ (of a morpheme) able to occur in isolation.
- 3. not subject to or constrained by engagements or obligations she spent her free time shopping 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a facility or piece of equipment) not occupied or in use the bathroom was free 同義詞 反義詞
- 4. not subject to or affected by (a specified thing, typically an undesirable one) membership is free of charge 同義詞 反義詞
- 5. given or available without charge free healthcare 同義詞 反義詞
- 6. using or expending something without restraint; lavish she was always free with her money 同義詞
- ▪ frank or unrestrained in speech, expression, or action he was free in his talk of revolution 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ archaic overfamiliar or forward in manner. 同義詞 反義詞
- 7. (of a literary style) not observing the strict laws of form.
- ▪ (of a translation) conveying only the broad sense; not literal.
- 8. (of the wind) blowing from a favorable direction to the side or stern of a vessel.
- 1. without cost or payment ladies were admitted free 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. with the sheets eased I kept her off the wind and sailing free until I had all square forward
- 1. release from captivity, confinement, or slavery they were freed from jail 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ release from physical obstruction, restraint, or entanglement I had to tug hard and at last freed him 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ remove something undesirable or restrictive from his inheritance freed him from financial constraints free your mind and body of excess tension 同義詞
- ▪ make available for a particular purpose this will free up funds for development elsewhere