- a hinged barrier used to close an opening in a wall, fence, or hedge；a gateway
- confine (a student) to school or college
noun: gate, plural noun: gates
- 1. a hinged barrier used to close an opening in a wall, fence, or hedge she closed the front gate they were opening the gates of their country wide to the enemy 同義詞
- ▪ a gateway she went out through the gate 同義詞
- ▪ an exit from an airport building to an aircraft a departure gate
- ▪ a mountain pass or other natural passage the Golden Gate
- 2. the number of people who pay to enter a sports facility, exhibition hall, etc., for any one event gate receipts
- ▪ the money taken for admission.
- 3. a device resembling a gate in structure or function.
- ▪ a hinged or sliding barrier for controlling the flow of water a sluice gate
- ▪ a device for holding each frame of a movie film in position behind the lens of a camera or projector.
- ▪ an opening through which a skier must pass in a slalom course, typically marked by upright poles.
- 4. an electric circuit with an output which depends on the combination of several inputs a logic gate
- ▪ the part of a field-effect transistor to which a signal is applied to control the resistance of the conductive channel of the device.
- 1. British confine (a student) to school or college he was gated for the rest of term