- IPA[ˌhɑːfweɪ ˈhaʊs]
- the halfway point in a progression；a compromise between two different or opposing views or courses of action
noun: halfway house, plural noun: halfway houses
- 1. the halfway point in a progression suspension of the talks was only a halfway house towards complete termination
- ▪ British a compromise between two different or opposing views or courses of action the formula seems a good halfway house and avoids another row
- 2. a centre for rehabilitating former prisoners, psychiatric patients, or others unused to non-institutional life.
- 3. historical an inn midway between two towns.
- IPA[ˈhafˌwā ˌhous]
- a center for helping former drug addicts, prisoners, psychiatric patients, or others to adjust ...
Oxford American Dictionary