- not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully；not qualified to act in a particular capacity
- an incompetent person
noun: incompetent, plural noun: incompetents
- 1. not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully a forgetful and utterly incompetent assistant
- ▪ not qualified to act in a particular capacity the patient is deemed legally incompetent
- ▪ (especially of a valve or sphincter) not able to perform its function.
- 1. an incompetent person the tanker captain was a known incompetent