- fill (a balloon, tire, or other expandable structure) with air or gas so that it becomes distended.；become distended by being filled with air or gas
verb: inflate, 3rd person present: inflates, gerund or present participle: inflating, past tense: inflated, past participle: inflated
- 1. fill (a balloon, tire, or other expandable structure) with air or gas so that it becomes distended.
- ▪ become distended by being filled with air or gas the mattress inflated 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. increase (something) by a large or excessive amount objectives should be clearly set out so as not to duplicate work and inflate costs 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ exaggerate numbers have been grossly inflated by the local press 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. bring about inflation of (a currency) or in (an economy) he has inflated the money supply to allow companies to continue in their old ways