- a period of prolonged and intensive questioning or investigation；a judicial or official inquiry.
noun: inquisition, plural noun: inquisitions
- 1. a period of prolonged and intensive questioning or investigation she relented in her determined inquisition and offered help
- ▪ historical a judicial or official inquiry.
- 2. an ecclesiastical tribunal established by Pope Gregory IX c. 1232 for the suppression of heresy. It was active chiefly in northern Italy and southern France, becoming notorious for the use of torture. In 1542 the papal Inquisition was re-established to combat Protestantism, eventually becoming an organ of papal government.
- an ecclesiastical court established in Roman Catholic Spain in 1478 and directed originally ...
Oxford American Dictionary
- an ecclesiastical court established in 1478 and directed originally against converts from ...
- a period of prolonged and intensive questioning: she relented in her determined inquisition and offered help