- used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified；referring to an animal or child of unspecified sex
- 1. used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified a room with two beds in it this approach is refreshing because it breaks down barriers
- ▪ referring to an animal or child of unspecified sex she was holding the baby, cradling it and smiling into its face
- ▪ referring to a fact or situation previously mentioned, known, or happening stop it, you're hurting me
- 2. used to identify a person it's me it's a boy!
- 3. used in the normal subject position in statements about time, distance, or weather it's half past five it was two miles to the island
- 4. used in the normal subject or object position when a more specific subject or object is given later in the sentence it is impossible to assess the problem she found it interesting to learn about their strategy
- 5. used to emphasize a following part of a sentence it is the child who is the victim
- 6. the situation or circumstances; things in general no one can stay here—it's too dangerous now he would like to see you straight away if it's convenient
- 7. exactly what is needed or desired they thought they were it you've either got it or you haven't
- 8. informal sex appeal he's still got ‘it.’
- ▪ sex the only thing I knew nothing about was ‘it’
- 9. informal denoting a person or thing that is exceptionally fashionable, popular, or successful at a particular time they were Hollywood's It couple the company is renting out the It bags of the moment for as little as £10 a week
- 10. (in children's games) the player who has to catch the others.