- a fastening made by looping a piece of string, rope, or something similar on itself and tightening it；a particular method of making a knot
- fasten with a knot；make (a carpet or other decorative item) with knots.
verb: knot, 3rd person present: knots, gerund or present participle: knotting, past tense: knotted, past participle: knotted
noun: knot, plural noun: knots
- 1. a fastening made by looping a piece of string, rope, or something similar on itself and tightening it tie a knot at the end of the cord these explanations form a complex knot of competing theories 同義詞 tie, twist, loop, bow, splice, ... 更多
- ▪ a particular method of making a knot you need to master two knots, the clove hitch and the sheet bend
- ▪ an ornamental ribbon.
- 2. a tangled mass in something such as hair or wool.
- 3. a knob, protuberance, or node in a stem, branch, or root. 同義詞 nodule, gnarl, knurl, node, lump, ... 更多
- ▪ a hard mass formed in a tree trunk at the intersection with a branch, resulting in a round cross-grained piece in timber when cut through.
- ▪ a hard lump of tissue in the body.
- 4. an unpleasant feeling of tightness or tension in a part of the body her stomach was in knots as she unlocked the door
- 5. a small tightly packed group of people a knot of spectators was gathering 同義詞 cluster, group, band, huddle, bunch, ... 更多
- 6. a unit of speed equivalent to one nautical mile per hour, used especially of ships, aircraft, or winds.
- ▪ historical a length marked by knots on a log line, as a measure of speed some days the vessel logged 12 knots
- 1. fasten with a knot the scarves were knotted loosely around their throats a knotted rope
- ▪ make (a carpet or other decorative item) with knots.
- 2. make (something, especially hair) tangled the shampoo knotted my hair terribly
- 3. cause (a muscle) to become tense and hard.
- ▪ (of the stomach) tighten as a result of nervousness or tension.