- a passionate expression of grief or sorrow；a song, piece of music, or poem expressing sorrow.
- mourn (a person's loss or death)；express one's deep grief about.
verb: lament, 3rd person present: laments, gerund or present participle: lamenting, past tense: lamented, past participle: lamented
noun: lament, plural noun: laments
- 1. a passionate expression of grief or sorrow his mother's night-long laments for his father a song full of lament and sorrow 同義詞 wail, wailing, lamentation, moan, moaning, ... 更多
- ▪ a song, piece of music, or poem expressing sorrow. 同義詞 dirge, requiem, elegy, funeral song/chant, burial hymn, ... 更多
- ▪ an expression of regret or disappointment; a complaint there were constant laments about the conditions of employment
- 1. mourn (a person's loss or death) he was lamenting the death of his infant daughter 同義詞 mourn, grieve (for/over), weep for, shed tears for, sorrow, ... 更多反義詞 celebrate, rejoice
- ▪ express one's deep grief about.
- ▪ express regret or disappointment over something considered unsatisfactory, unreasonable, or unfair she lamented the lack of shops in the town Thomas Jefferson later lamented, “Heaven remained silent.” 同義詞 bemoan, bewail, complain about, deplore, regret, ... 更多