- a large single upright block of stone, especially one shaped into or serving as a pillar or monument；a very large and characterless building
noun: monolith, plural noun: monoliths
- 1. a large single upright block of stone, especially one shaped into or serving as a pillar or monument we passed Stonehenge, the strange stone monoliths silhouetted against the horizon
- ▪ a very large and characterless building the 72-story monolith overlooking the waterfront
- ▪ a large block of concrete sunk in water, e.g. in the building of a dock.
- 2. a large and impersonal political, corporate, or social structure regarded as intractably indivisible and uniform the dominance of broadcasting monoliths limits local programming