- a woman in relation to her child or children；a female animal in relation to its offspring
- bring up (a child) with care and affection；look after (someone) kindly and protectively, sometimes excessively so
verb: mother, 3rd person present: mothers, gerund or present participle: mothering, past tense: mothered, past participle: mothered
noun: mother, plural noun: mothers
- 1. a woman in relation to her child or children his mother was a painter a mother of three 同義詞 female parent, biological mother, birth mother, foster mother, adoptive mother, ... 更多
- ▪ a female animal in relation to its offspring a mother penguin 同義詞 dam
- ▪ archaic (especially as a form of address) an elderly woman.
- ▪ an important female figure in the origin and early history of something she will always be remembered as the mother of modern ecology they are often referred to as the founding mothers of the Museum of Modern Art 同義詞 originator, initiator, founder, founding mother, inventor, ... 更多
- ▪ denoting an institution or organization from which others of the same type derive the initiatives were based on the experience of the mother company
- ▪ (especially as a title or form of address) the head of a female religious community.
- 2. North American vulgar slang short for motherfucker
- 1. bring up (a child) with care and affection she didn't know how to mother my brother and he was very sensitive he found a beautiful wife that mothered his children
- ▪ look after (someone) kindly and protectively, sometimes excessively so she mothered her husband, insisting he should take cod liver oil in the winter 同義詞 look after, care for, take care of, nurture, nurse, ... 更多反義詞 neglect
- 2. dated give birth to she's mothered two foals that have gone on to be impressive dressage competitors 同義詞 give birth to, have, deliver, bear, produce, ... 更多