- a device for opening something, especially a container；the first of a series of games, cultural events, etc.
noun: opener, plural noun: openers
- 1. a device for opening something, especially a container a bottle opener a letter opener
- 2. informal the first of a series of games, cultural events, etc. the league opener is three weeks away
- ▪ the first point or points scored in a sports event.
- ▪ a remark used as an excuse to initiate a conversation we blurted out the obvious opener
- ▪ (in poker) a hand of sufficient value to allow the opening of betting.