- the point or place where something begins, arises, or is derived；a person's social background or ancestry
noun: origin, plural noun: origins
- 1. the point or place where something begins, arises, or is derived the name is Norse in origin the terminology has its origins in America 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ a person's social background or ancestry a voice that betrays his Southern origins they will be asked about their ethnic origin 同義詞
- 2. the more fixed end or attachment of a muscle.
- ▪ a place where a nerve or blood vessel begins or branches from a main nerve or blood vessel.
- 3. a fixed point from which coordinates are measured, as where axes intersect.