- the male head of a family or tribe.；an older man who is powerful within an organization
noun: patriarch, plural noun: patriarchs
- 1. the male head of a family or tribe.
- ▪ an older man who is powerful within an organization Hollywood's reigning patriarch rose to speak
- ▪ the male founder of something he's the patriarch of all spin doctors
- 2. any of those biblical figures regarded as fathers of the human race, especially Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and their forefathers, or the sons of Jacob.
- 3. a bishop of one of the most ancient Christian sees (Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, Jerusalem, and formerly Rome).
- ▪ the head of an autocephalous or independent Orthodox Church Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia
- ▪ a Roman Catholic bishop ranking above primates and metropolitans and immediately below the Pope, often the head of a Uniate community Patriarch of Venice
- the male head of a family or tribe.
Oxford American Dictionary