- a human being regarded as an individual；used in legal or formal contexts to refer to an unspecified individual
noun: person, plural noun: people
- 1. a human being regarded as an individual the porter was the last person to see her she is a person of astonishing energy
- ▪ used in legal or formal contexts to refer to an unspecified individual the entrance fee is $10.00 per person
- ▪ an individual characterized by a preference or liking for a specified thing she's not a cat person
- ▪ a character in a play or story his previous roles in the person of a fallible cop
- ▪ an individual's body I have publicity photographs on my person at all times
- 2. a category used in the classification of pronouns, possessive determiners, and verb forms, according to whether they indicate the speaker (first person), the addressee (second person), or a third party (third person).
- 3. each of the three modes of being of God, namely the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit, who together constitute the Trinity.