- an obstruction blocking a hole, pipe, etc.；a circular piece of metal, rubber, or plastic used to stop the drain of a bathtub or basin and keep the water in it.
- block or fill in (a hole or cavity)；insert (something) into an opening so as to fill it
verb: plug, 3rd person present: plugs, gerund or present participle: plugging, past tense: plugged, past participle: plugged
noun: plug, plural noun: plugs
- 1. an obstruction blocking a hole, pipe, etc. somewhere in the pipes there is a plug of ice blocking the flow 同義詞
- ▪ a circular piece of metal, rubber, or plastic used to stop the drain of a bathtub or basin and keep the water in it.
- ▪ North American informal a baby's pacifier.
- ▪ a mass of solidified lava filling the neck of an old volcano.
- ▪ (in gardening) a young plant or clump of grass with a small mass of soil protecting its roots, for planting in the ground.
- 2. a device for making an electrical connection, especially between an appliance and a power supply, consisting of an insulated casing with metal pins that fit into holes in an outlet the cable is fitted with a two-pin plug
- ▪ short for spark plug
- 3. informal a piece of publicity promoting a product, event, or establishment he threw in a plug, boasting that the restaurant offered many entrées for under $5 同義詞
- 4. a piece of tobacco cut from a larger cake for chewing they sold chewing tobacco in bars and plugs 同義詞
- ▪ tobacco in large cakes designed to be cut for chewing he was always chewing plug and cracking jokes
- 5. a lure with one or more hooks attached.
- 6. short for fireplug
- 7. North American informal a tired or old horse.
- 1. block or fill in (a hole or cavity) trucks arrived loaded with gravel to plug the hole and clear the road 同義詞
- ▪ insert (something) into an opening so as to fill it the baby plugged his thumb into his mouth
- 2. informal mention (a product, event, or establishment) publicly in order to promote it during the show he plugged his new record 同義詞
- 3. North American informal shoot or hit (someone or something) he got plugged in the head while he was taking a nap 同義詞