- a container, typically rounded or cylindrical and of ceramic ware or metal, used for storage or cooking；any of various containers made for a particular purpose
- plant in a flowerpot；preserve (food, especially meat or fish) in a sealed pot or jar
verb: pot, 3rd person present: pots, gerund or present participle: potting, past tense: potted, past participle: potted
noun: pot, plural noun: pots
- 1. a container, typically rounded or cylindrical and of ceramic ware or metal, used for storage or cooking clay pots for keeping water cool in summer a cooking pot 同義詞
- ▪ any of various containers made for a particular purpose a coffee pot
- ▪ a container for holding drink, especially beer.
- ▪ the contents of any pot a pot of coffee
- 2. the total sum of the bets made on a round in poker and other card games Jim raked in the pot 同義詞
- ▪ all the money contributed by a group of people for a particular purpose in insurance, everybody puts money into the pot used to pay claims
- 3. informal a potbelly. 同義詞
- 4. US informal a toilet.
- 1. plant in a flowerpot pot individual cuttings as soon as you see new young leaves
- 2. preserve (food, especially meat or fish) in a sealed pot or jar venison can be potted in the same way as tongue
- 3. another term for pocket
- 4. informal hit or kill (someone or something) by shooting he was shot in the eye as neighbors potted clay pigeons