- a district of a city or town as defined for police purposes.；the police station situated in a precinct
noun: precinct, plural noun: precincts
- 1. North American a district of a city or town as defined for police purposes.
- ▪ the police station situated in a precinct at the precinct, a desk sergeant ran through her ID
- ▪ an electoral district of a city or town served by a single polling place with 35 percent of the precincts declaring, he had 51 percent of the vote
- 2. the area within the walls or perceived boundaries of a particular building or place all strata of society live within these precincts beyond the precincts of my own family, I am quite inhibited 同義詞
- ▪ an enclosed or clearly defined area of ground around a cathedral, church, or college. 同義詞
- 3. British an area in a town designated for specific or restricted use, especially one that is closed to traffic a pedestrian precinct 同義詞
- an area of a town restricted to pedestrians.
- the area within the walls or perceived boundaries of a particular building or place: a former MP who still works in the precincts of the House