- the area near or surrounding a place；a person's usual haunts.
noun: purlieu, plural noun: purlieus
- 1. the area near or surrounding a place the photogenic purlieus of Cambridge
- ▪ a person's usual haunts.
- 2. British historical a tract on the border of a forest, especially one earlier included in it and still partly subject to forest laws they wished the purlieus to be completely free from the Forest law
- the area near or surrounding a place: the photogenic purlieus of the Princeton
Oxford American Dictionary