- satisfy (one's thirst) by drinking.；satisfy (a desire)
- an act of quenching something very hot.
verb: quench, 3rd person present: quenches, gerund or present participle: quenching, past tense: quenched, past participle: quenched
- 1. satisfy (one's thirst) by drinking.
- ▪ satisfy (a desire) he only pursued her to quench an aching need 同義詞
- 2. extinguish (a fire) firemen hauled on hoses in a desperate bid to quench the flames 同義詞
- ▪ stifle or suppress (a feeling) fury rose in him, but he quenched it
- 3. rapidly cool (red-hot metal or other material), especially in cold water or oil.
- ▪ suppress or damp (an effect such as luminescence, or an oscillation or discharge).
- 1. an act of quenching something very hot.