- the part of a telephone apparatus contained in the earpiece, in which electrical signals are converted into sounds.；a complete telephone handset
noun: receiver, plural noun: receivers
- 1. the part of a telephone apparatus contained in the earpiece, in which electrical signals are converted into sounds.
- ▪ a complete telephone handset he picked up the receiver 同義詞 handset, apparatus, headset, earpiece
- ▪ a piece of radio or television apparatus that detects broadcast signals and converts them into visible or audible form a satellite receiver
- 2. a person who gets or accepts something that has been sent or given to them the receiver of a gift 同義詞 recipient, beneficiary, donee, giftee, legatee, ... 更多反義詞 donor
- ▪ a person who buys or accepts stolen goods in the knowledge that they have been stolen he's the biggest receiver of stolen jewels in London
- ▪ (in tennis and similar games) the player to whom the ball is served to begin play.
- ▪ a player who catches a pass or a kick.
- 3. a person or company appointed by a court to manage the financial affairs of a business or person that has gone bankrupt the company is in the hands of the receivers
- 4. a container for collecting the products of distillation, chromatography, or other process.
- 5. the part of a firearm which houses the action and to which the barrel and other parts are attached.
- another term for receiver
- an offensive player who is positioned at a distance from the end and is used primarily as a ...
Oxford American Dictionary
- an offensive player positioned away from the line, used primarily as a pass receiver.
- the part of a telephone apparatus contained in the earpiece, in which electrical signals are ...