- an object or space used to contain something；an electrical outlet into which the plug of an electrical device may be inserted.
noun: receptacle, plural noun: receptacles
- 1. an object or space used to contain something trash receptacles
- 2. North American an electrical outlet into which the plug of an electrical device may be inserted.
- 3. an organ or structure which receives a secretion, eggs, sperm, etc.
- 4. an enlarged area at the apex of a stem that bears the organs of a flower or the florets of a flower head.
- ▪ a structure supporting the sexual organs in some algae, mosses, and liverworts.
- a hollow object used to contain something: fast-food receptacles