- typical of a class, group, or body of opinion；containing typical examples of many or all types
- a person chosen or appointed to act or speak for another or others；a person chosen or elected to speak and act on behalf of others in a legislative assembly or deliberative body
noun: representative, plural noun: representatives
- 1. typical of a class, group, or body of opinion Churchill was not properly representative of influential opinion in Britain 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ containing typical examples of many or all types a representative sample of young people in Scotland
- 2. (of a legislative assembly or deliberative body) consisting of people chosen to act and speak on behalf of a wider group the new government lacked a representative assembly there was no representative body to fight for cricketers until 1968
- ▪ (of a government or political system) based on elected or chosen representatives free elections and representative democracy 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. serving as a portrayal or symbol of something the show would be more representative of how women really are 同義詞
- ▪ (of art) representational the bust involves a high degree of representative abstraction
- 4. relating to mental representation.
- 1. a person chosen or appointed to act or speak for another or others the Duke of Gloucester would attend the coronation as the representative of his father, King George V 同義詞
- ▪ a person chosen or elected to speak and act on behalf of others in a legislative assembly or deliberative body the District of Columbia's representative in Congress the Cambodian representative to the UN 同義詞
- ▪ a delegate who attends a conference, negotiations, etc., so as to represent the interests of another person or group a PLO representative attending a meeting in Damascus 同義詞
- ▪ an agent of a firm who travels to potential clients to sell its products a sales representative for Norwich Union 同義詞
- ▪ an employee of a travel company who lives in a resort and looks after the needs of its holidaymakers make your own way to the Valley Inn, where you will be contacted by our tour representative
- 2. an example of a class or group fossil representatives of lampreys and hagfishes 同義詞
- an executor or administrator of the estate of a deceased person: if the deceased person leaves any estate, the local authority will claim its expenses from the legal personal representative
- the lower house of the US Congress and other legislatures.
- the lower house of the US Congress and other legislatures, including most US state governments.
Oxford American Dictionary
- typical of a class, group, or body of opinion: these courses are representative of those taken by most Harvard undergraduates
- a person chosen or appointed to act or speak for another or others: the Duke of Gloucester would attend the coronation as the representative of his father, King George V
Oxford American Dictionary