- a firm decision to do or not to do something；a formal expression of opinion or intention agreed on by a legislative body or other formal meeting, typically after taking a vote
noun: resolution, plural noun: resolutions
- 1. a firm decision to do or not to do something she kept her resolution not to see Anne any more a New Year's resolution 同義詞
- ▪ a formal expression of opinion or intention agreed on by a legislative body or other formal meeting, typically after taking a vote the conference passed two resolutions 同義詞
- 2. the quality of being determined or resolute he handled the last British actions of the war with resolution 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. the action of solving a problem or contentious matter the peaceful resolution of all disputes a successful resolution to the problem 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the passing of a discord into a concord during the course of changing harmony tension is released by the resolution from the dominant to the tonic chord
- ▪ the disappearance of a symptom or condition complete remission was defined as resolution of clinical evidence of disease
- 4. the process of reducing or separating something into constituent parts or components.
- ▪ the replacing of a single force or other vector quantity by two or more jointly equivalent to it.
- 5. the smallest interval measurable by a telescope or other scientific instrument; the resolving power.
- ▪ the degree of detail visible in a photographic or television image a high-resolution monitor
- 6. the conversion of something abstract into another form the gradual resolution of an uncertain feeling into a named emotion
- ▪ the substitution of two short syllables for one long one.