- a person who runs, especially in a specified way；a person who runs competitively as a sport or hobby
noun: runner, plural noun: runners
- 1. a person who runs, especially in a specified way Mary was a fast runner
- ▪ a person who runs competitively as a sport or hobby a marathon runner 同義詞
- ▪ a horse that runs in a particular race there were only four runners
- ▪ a messenger, collector, or agent for a bank, bookmaker, or other organization. 同義詞
- ▪ a base runner.
- ▪ a messenger in the army.
- 2. a person who smuggles specified goods into or out of a country or area a drug-runner
- 3. a rod, groove, or blade on which something slides.
- ▪ each of the long pieces on the underside of a sled that forms the contact in sliding.
- ▪ a roller for moving a heavy article the vegetable baskets were on runners
- ▪ a ring capable of slipping or sliding along a strap or rod or through which something may be passed or drawn.
- ▪ a rope run through a block.
- 4. a shoot, typically leafless, which grows from the base of a plant along the surface of the ground and can take root at points along its length it's not always easy to find strawberry runners with good strong roots 同義詞
- ▪ a plant that spreads by means of runners.
- ▪ a twining plant.
- 5. a long, narrow rug or strip of carpet, especially for a hall or stairway a faded runner held in place with brass stair rods
- 6. a revolving millstone.
- 7. a fast-swimming fish of the jack family, occurring in tropical seas.