- the action of helping or doing work for someone；an act of assistance
- perform routine maintenance or repair work on (a vehicle or machine)；supply and maintain systems for public utilities and transport and communications in (an area)
verb: service, 3rd person present: services, gerund or present participle: servicing, past tense: serviced, past participle: serviced
noun: service, plural noun: services
- 1. the action of helping or doing work for someone millions are involved in voluntary service 同義詞 act of assistance, good turn, favour, kindness, helping hand, ... 更多
- ▪ an act of assistance he has done us a great service he volunteered his services as a driver 同義詞 act of assistance, good turn, favour, kindness, helping hand, ... 更多
- ▪ a period of employment with a company or organization he retired after 40 years' service 同義詞 work, employment, employ, labour, performance of one's duties
- ▪ the use that can be made of a machine the computer should provide good service for years 同義詞 use, usage
- ▪ employment as a servant the pitifully low wages gained from domestic service
- 2. assistance or advice given to customers during and after the sale of goods they aim to provide better quality of service
- ▪ the action or process of serving food and drinks to customers they complained of poor bar service 同義詞 waiting, waitressing, waiting at table, serving of food and drink, attendance, ... 更多
- ▪ short for service charge
- 3. a piece of work done for a client or customer that does not involve manufacturing goods highly customized goods and services the provision of banking services to small and medium-sized businesses
- 4. a system supplying a public need such as transport, communications, or utilities such as electricity and water a regular bus service 同義詞 amenity, facility, resource, utility, solution, ... 更多
- ▪ a public department or organization run by the state the probation service
- ▪ the armed forces he saw a friend in army uniform, telling tales of his adventures in the services service personnel 同義詞 armed forces, armed services, forces, military, army, ... 更多
- ▪ British an area with parking beside a major road supplying petrol, refreshments, and other amenities to motorists.
- 5. a ceremony of religious worship according to a prescribed form a funeral service 同義詞 ceremony, ritual, rite, observance, ordinance, ... 更多
- 6. a periodic routine inspection and maintenance of a vehicle or other machine he took his car in for a service 同義詞 overhaul, servicing, maintenance check, routine check, check
- 7. a set of matching crockery used for serving a particular meal a dinner service
- 8. (in tennis and other racket sports) the action or right of serving to begin play.
- ▪ a serve.
- 9. the formal delivery of a document such as a writ or summons.
- 1. perform routine maintenance or repair work on (a vehicle or machine) ensure that gas appliances are serviced regularly 同義詞 overhaul, servicing, maintenance check, routine check, check
- ▪ supply and maintain systems for public utilities and transport and communications in (an area) the village is small and well serviced
- ▪ perform a service or services for (someone) her life is devoted to servicing others
- ▪ pay interest on (a debt) taxpayers are paying $250 million just to service that debt
- 2. (of a male animal) mate with (a female animal) one dog could presumably service several bitches in a day
- ▪ vulgar slang have sex with or give sexual gratification to (someone).