- the action of helping or doing work for someone；an act of assistance
- perform routine maintenance or repair work on (a vehicle or machine)；supply and maintain systems for public utilities and transport and communications in (an area)
verb: service, 3rd person present: services, gerund or present participle: servicing, past tense: serviced, past participle: serviced
noun: service, plural noun: services
- 1. the action of helping or doing work for someone millions are involved in voluntary service 同義詞
- ▪ an act of assistance he has done us a great service he volunteered his services as a driver 同義詞
- ▪ a period of employment with a company or organization he retired after 40 years' service 同義詞
- ▪ the use that can be made of a machine the computer should provide good service for years 同義詞
- ▪ employment as a servant the pitifully low wages gained from domestic service
- 2. assistance or advice given to customers during and after the sale of goods they aim to provide better quality of service
- ▪ the action or process of serving food and drinks to customers they complained of poor bar service 同義詞
- ▪ short for service charge
- 3. a piece of work done for a client or customer that does not involve manufacturing goods highly customized goods and services the provision of banking services to small and medium-sized businesses
- 4. a system supplying a public need such as transport, communications, or utilities such as electricity and water a regular bus service 同義詞
- ▪ a public department or organization run by the state the probation service
- ▪ the armed forces he saw a friend in army uniform, telling tales of his adventures in the services service personnel 同義詞
- ▪ British an area with parking beside a major road supplying petrol, refreshments, and other amenities to motorists.
- 5. a ceremony of religious worship according to a prescribed form a funeral service 同義詞
- 6. a periodic routine inspection and maintenance of a vehicle or other machine he took his car in for a service 同義詞
- 7. a set of matching crockery used for serving a particular meal a dinner service
- 8. (in tennis and other racket sports) the action or right of serving to begin play.
- ▪ a serve.
- 9. the formal delivery of a document such as a writ or summons.
- 1. perform routine maintenance or repair work on (a vehicle or machine) ensure that gas appliances are serviced regularly 同義詞
- ▪ supply and maintain systems for public utilities and transport and communications in (an area) the village is small and well serviced
- ▪ perform a service or services for (someone) her life is devoted to servicing others
- ▪ pay interest on (a debt) taxpayers are paying $250 million just to service that debt
- 2. (of a male animal) mate with (a female animal) one dog could presumably service several bitches in a day
- ▪ vulgar slang have sex with or give sexual gratification to (someone).